Doves or pigeons are one of the most loved and kept birds. These birds are not only gentle and calm but also adorable flyers. These attributes make them great pets for all family members. They have round and fluffy bodies, thick necks, a fat head, and they make a low, sweet sound called a coo.
Although doves are generally said to be mostly white in color and smaller than pigeons, there isn’t any scientific or taxonomic difference between these two birds. Both of them belong to the family of birds known as ‘Columbidae.’ They are basically the same birds that go by different names.
If you have ever thought of keeping a dove/pigeon as a pet, below are some name ideas that you can choose from. In addition, find out more about the different species or types plus fascinating, fun and interesting facts about these flyers.
Top Pigeon/Dove Names
- Amber- A female name of English origin that means Fossilized Tree Resin or Color Orange/Red.
- Sparky-A male name of Latin origin that means to scatter.
- Blaze-The name is of Latin origin meaning stutter. It is a gender-neutral name.
- Flame-The name is of Hungarian origin that means fire.
- Keegan-It is of Irish origin meaning son.
- Maple-A female name that means a piece of cloth.
- Rowan-A popular male name of English and Scottish origins that means little red-haired one.
- Ruby-It is of French and Latin origin that means deep precious stone.
- Rufus-A male name of Latin origin that means red-haired.
- Scarlett-A female name of English origin that symbolizes courage, passion, force, joy and heat.
- Spark-A name of Latin origin that means to scatter.
- Blaise-A name of English and French origin that means lisping, stammering.
- Cherry-A female name of American origin that means Dear one; darling.
- Lucky-A male name of English origin that means fortunate.
- Merlin-The name is a male name of Welsh origin that means sea fortress.
Other famous dove names
Male Dove Names
- Jack-A name of English origin that means God is Gracious.
- Blue-A name of American origin that means The Color.
- Rocky-A name of Italian origin that means rest.
- Jett-The name is of English origin which means Jet Black.
- Rio-The name is of English origin that means Lover.
- Charlie-A name of Old German origin that means free man.
- Sterling-A name of English origin that means genuine, of high quality.
- Shadow-The name is of English origin that means shade from Sun.
- Griffin-A name of Latin origin that means strong lord.
- Pilot-A name of American origin that means Ship or Plane Operator.
Other masculine names for boy doves.
Female Dove Names
- Candy- It is of American origin meaning Bright.
- Bluebell- A name of English origin that means blue bell.
- Iris-It is of Ancient Greek origin meaning rainbow.
- Jade-A name of Spanish origin that means stone of the colic/side.
- Juniper-A name of Lati origin that means young.
- Lavender-A name of English origin that means lavender flower.
- Jane-A name of English origin that means God is gracious.
- Lima-The name is of Latin origin that means Goddess of the threshold.
- Rose-A name of Latin origin that means rose, a flower.
Other girly dove names.
White Dove Names
Famous War Pigeon Names
Following are some of the most famous war and carrier pigeons in history
William of Orange
Part of the British military service MI14, William of Orange was a war pigeon whose messages saved over 2,000 lives in World War II. He was awarded the 21st Dickin Medal for delivering a message from the Arnhem Airborne Operation.
G. I. Joe
one of the most famous pigeons in history, most noted for saving a thousand soldiers during WWII.
After communications through radio failed, G.I. Joe was used to send a warning message about a bombing that was about to happen. This bird safely informed US Air Command and impressively managed to stop what would have been a tragic and unnecessary bombing.
This was a messenger pigeon that single-handedly saved a battalion of 200 men from certain death. That was On October 2, 1918, in the thick of World War I.
Mocker, the hero pigeon was active during WWI in France. Mocker flew 52 missions during World War I before he was finally wounded. While wounded, Mocker still managed to deliver an extremely important message that detailed the location of enemy artillery.
This was a war pigeon that contributed minor but valuable victories against the Nazis in Germany during World War II. Throughout Commando’s 90 missions, he delivered crucial intelligence for the Allied forces.
Mary of Exeter
A recipient of the Dickens Medal, Mary of Exeter was a carrier pigeon that became famous for her longevity, surviving a variety of attacks and carrying out many military missions during World War II.
She joined the National Pigeon Service in 1940 and was used to deliver secret messages between England and France.
Paddy was an Irish carrier pigeon awarded the Dickin Medal after being the first pigeon to arrive back in England with news of the success of the D-Day invasion, out of hundreds dispatched.
A war pigeon that valiantly served with the US Army during World War I. He was with the Tank Corps during his first deployment and was stationed in the forwardmost tanks to deliver the location of enemy machine gun nests.
A brave female war pigeon bred in Scotland, White Vision served in World War II and was a recipient of the Dickin Medal for her bravery.
White vision flew 100kilometers, against harsh conditions, to deliver the location of a plane that crashed into the sea
A carrier pigeon that flew over 200 kilometers of water rescuing 4 men in freezing waters during World War II
Pigeon Names in TV Shows, Cartoon & Animations
The Godpigeon: A pigeon character from the cartoon TV show called Animaniacs.
Valiant: The protagonist in a Disney animated film called Valiant
Bugsy: The deuteragonist in a Disney animated film called Valiant
Species/Types of Doves/Pigeons Names
- Mourning dove-Scientific name is Zenaida macroura. Also known as American mourning dove, the rain dove.
- Eurasian collared dove-A dove species native to Europe and Asia; it was introduced in Japan, North America and islands in the Caribbean.
- Rock dove- This bird of often simply referred to pigeon. It is the world’s oldest domesticated bird.
- Ring-necked dove-Also known as the Cape turtle dove. A widespread and often abundant dove species in East and southern Africa.
- White-winged dove-A dove whose native range extends from the Southwestern United States. They are large for birds and can be easily distinguishable with their white edged wings.
- Common ground dove-It is considered to be the smallest bird that inhabits the southern United states.
- Barbary dove-It is a ringed turtle dove, or ring dove that is a domestic member of the dove family. It is 30cm in length.
- Band-tailed pigeon-Is a medium-sized bird of the Americas. Its closest relatives are the Chilean pigeon and ring-tailed pigeon.
- Inca dove-Also called Mexican dove. Is a small new world dove. It reaches a length of 16- 23m and weighs 30- 58g.
- European turtle dove-A member of the bird family Columbidae. It breeds over a wide area of the south western Palearctic.
- Spotted dove-A small and somewhat long-tailed pigeon that is a common resident breeding bird across its native range on the Indian subcontinent and in Southeast Asia.
- Common wood pigeon-A large species in the dove and pigeon family. It belongs to the genus Columbidae family.
- Laughing dove-A small pigeon that is a resident breeder in Africa, the Middle East.
- White-tipped dove-Is a large new world tropical dove. Its scientific name is Leptotila verreauxi.
- White-crowned pigeon-Is a fruit and seed-eating species of bird in the dove and pigeon family Columbidae.
- Oriental turtle dove-Is a member of the bird family Columbidae. The species if predominantly and forages on the ground.
- The kererū (Hemiphaga novaeseelandiae)-Also known as the New Zealand pigeon , it is a species of pigeon native to the New Zealand mainland
More other types of doves include;
- Zebra dove
- Eared dove
- Common emerald dove
- Passenger pigeon
- Ruddy ground dove
- Red collared dove
- Namaqua dove
- Socorro dove
- Diamond dove
- Crested pigeon
- Red-eyed dove
- African collared dove
- Stock dove
- Zenaida dove
- Victorua crowned pigeon
- Nicobar pigeon
- Whistling fruit dove
- Speckled pigeon
- Grenada dove
- Thick-billed green pigeon
- Pink-necked green pegion
- Topknot pegion
- Luzon bleeding-heart
- Yellow-footed green pigeon
- Pin-tailed green pigeon
- Orange-breasted green pigeon
- Lemon dove
- Common bronzewing
- Key West quail-dove
- Ruddy quali-dove
- Atoll fruit dove
More Bird Naming Ideas
- Parakeet Names for Blue, Green, Males & Cute Females
- Macaw Parrot Names, Types, Fun & Interesting Facts
- African Grey Parrot Names
- Cockatoo Names
Other Pet Names