The letter H, may have different symbolic meaning depending on which culture or region of the world you come from. It is the eighth letter of the Alphabet.
From, Ham, Harry, Harmony, Hegan, Haile, Hana, Handy to Humphrey there are dozens of unique, cute and cool dog names that start H. Here is a complete collection with meanings
Best H Names for Dogs
Many names suit some dogs better than others. It often depends on the character, size or appearance of your canine.
The following are some popular female and dog names that begin with h with their meaning.
- Ham-A male name of Hebrew origin meaning burnt or hot.
- Harry-It is of English origin. It means power, ruler. A male name.
- Henry-A male name of English and French origin meaning power, ruler.
- Harvey-A unisex name of English origin derived from the Old Breton meaning blazing.
- Hooch-Origin is Asia, meaning a military slang. A male name.
- Hope-Feminine name of Middle English meaning positive expectation.
- Hickory-A Unisex name that comes from Native American Powhatan Language meaning tree.
- Harley-A gender-neutral name whose origin is from Old English meaning hare’s meadow.
- Harmony-A female name of English origin meaning Musical Combination of Chords.
- Haile-It is of Anglo-Saxon tribes in Britain. It means healthy, brave, and stout. A male name.
- Hillary-A Latin hilarious name meaning ‘cheerful’. A Unisex name.
- Hagan-A male name of Irish, Gaelic, Scandinavian, and Old English origin meaning youthful, noble, highest race, exalted son or shelter.
Male Dog Names beginning with H
Male pooches in most cases go well with masculine characteristics such as cool, gentle, strong etc. Here are some boy pup H name ideas to bring out these characters
- Hack-A name from Northern German meaning hack dirty, boggy water.
- Handy-A masculine nickname from Middle English meaning,’ skillful with one’s hands’.
- Hart-The name means a Male Deer or Stag. It’s of English origin.
- Hades-A name of Greek origin. It means Sightless.
- Haggis-A surname From the Baptismal name of the son of Agape. It is of Scottish origin.
- Hal-Means an Army ruler. The name is of English origin.
- Hambone-A bone of a ham, or slice of ham or a slang, one who overreacts.
- Hamlet-It is of English origin meaning Little Home.
- Hammer-A name of English origin which means Maker of Hammers.
- Handsome-It is of Celtic origin meaning ‘tall and handsome’.
- Hank-It is of American origin. Means Ruler of the Home.
- Hansel-It means God Is Gracious. It’s of German origin.
- Happy-A name of American origin meaning Joyful.
- Hale-It is of British origin meaning ‘hero’.
- Halestorm-It is of American origin. Refers to rock band from Red Lion.
- Han-It is of Scandinavian, German, Danish and Hebrew origin. Means ‘God is gracious’.
- Hangar-Comes from Middle French hangart (enclosure near a house).
- Harrington-It is of English origin meaning settlement.
Other H boy names include;
Cute Girl Dog Names Beginning with H
Do not let yourself have a hard time looking for a female name for your dog. We got you. These lovely female dog names that start with H will give you lots of ideas for naming your sweet lady pup!
- Halo-It is of Greek origin. Female name Meaning Divine Aura.
- Hanu-It is of Hindi origin.It means ‘Brighten moon’. A Female name.
- Hash-It is of Sanskrit origin meaning smile, laughter. A female name.
- Henna-An Arabic male name for John meaning ‘blessed’.
- Hailey-An English surname of English origin meaning clearing meadow.
- Hannah-It is of Hebrew origin. Hannah means favor, grace.
- Hara-A name meaning ‘to seize’. It’s of Hindi origin.
- Harlow-It is of Old English origin meaning ‘army hill’.
- Harriet-Harriet means ‘home ruler’. It’s of English origin.
- Hattie-It is of American origin. Means Home Ruler.
- Haxton-It is of Scottish origin.It means ‘village’.
- Hayley-An English name meaning’ clearing or meadow’.
- Hazel-It’s from the name of the tree or the color. Derived from Old English.
- Heather-Of English origin that refers to a variety of small shrubs with pink or white flowers.
- Heaven-A name which means Home of The Gods and Celestial beings. It’s of English origin.
Other Female Names include;
Funny H Dog Names
Some names are not particularly funny on their own but given to the right dog they can be hilarious! If your pup is a born a comedian, what is better than to give it a funny name that makes everyone smile. And doesn’t offend anyone.
- Hairy-From Middle English meaning ‘terrifying, scary’.
- Hamburger-German surname meaning’ someone from Hamburg’.
- Han Solo-A character; A movie character in the Star Wars franchise created by George Lucas.
- Hash Brown-Derived from a French word which means’ to hack or chop.
Other names include;
- Hot dog
Unique H Pooch Names
While many some dog owners love the idea of copying names some want a unique name. To find the ideal name, you need to consider what makes your dog special, by simply observing their distinctive features and personality traits. Here some ideas for your inspiration.
- Hamish-It is of Scottish origin meaning Supplanter.
- Hansel-This name means God is Gracious. It is of German origin.
- Hanu-The name is of Hindu origin meaning ‘Blighting moon’.
- Haruko-It is a Japanese name and origin meaning ’spring child’.
- Hadrian-It is of Latin origin meaning dark or famous bearer’.
Other names include;
Tough H Dog Names
Tough dog names don’t have to be just for large, robust dogs. Small dogs are often big on personality and many owners like to choose a badass type moniker for their little pooch! Neither is it for just male dogs, girl dogs can have these names too.
- Hag-It is of English origin meaning Senses, A witch, sorcerers; wizard.
- Hannibal-It is from Phoenician Han which, means grace.
- Haunt-A name that I used to describe one that’s horrifying and chilling to look at because of septic appearance. It’s of English origin.
- Haris-It is a name from Greek origin which means ‘grace’.
- Hatfield-A place name of Anglo-Saxon period that means’ heath-covered open land’.
- Hawk-It is a name of Old English meaning ’Falcon bird of prey’.
- Heinrich-It is a German and Jewish name; from persona Heinrich meaning ‘power’.’
Other Names include;